State Rep. Brad Slagh is urging Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Department of Health and Human Services to amend their unilateral orders and to allow winter contact sports to resume in Michigan schools as was previously anticipated until the governor extended the pause last week.
Slagh said he has heard from many parents, coaches and students about their concerns regarding winter sports.
“Parents and coaches are rightfully concerned for their kids and I share their concerns and frustrations,” Slagh said. “Sports are about more than just competition. It’s a vital part of instilling confidence and building leadership skills in our children, providing them with a community to support them, and ultimately improves the mental well-being of our young people.”
Slagh also pointed to the scientific data being reported showing the extremely low likelihood of the COVID-19 virus being spread through contact sports.
“Contact sports have not been shown to be a significant vehicle for spreading the virus,” Slagh said. “Schools have already adopted cleaning and tracking procedures, further reducing the likelihood of the virus being spread.”
Winter sports were scheduled to start Monday, Feb. 1 before the governor’s extended order banning contact sports until Feb. 21.